Friday, November 27, 2009

Corny 80s Videos of Music Against the System

Before this post begins let's start with the larger against the system franchise of the last 10 years the Matrix, in Legos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDe4v318f64

Now the cause of this rant...

image from http://pretztail.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/styxmrroboto.jpg

It started with the Mr. Roboto video by Styx. This was a concept album Kilroy Was Here. They even made a very costly mini movie called Caught in the Act. In retrospective it is a very corny record that has not aged well. But, it was one of my first LPs. I was really trying to find the original movie to assess its degree of corniness but only managed to find a few videos running on the web.





The songs are hit or miss. This was one of my favorite songs out of that record:



High Time has a nice arrangement, but just ignore the ridiculous lyrics. The evil corporative demon that wants to ban music. Let's go against the system. Yeah! And go buy me some more records. And a new T Shirt too. Go to my very expensive concert. And down with the system! yeah!


Here is more stuff on the cool looking japanese masks.



The US vs THEM against corporative and religioius control of media resounded in this video:


HEAVY METAL POISONING


Murolces odro suvon sitpeoc tiunna

What the devil's goin' on

Why don't your turn that music down

You're going deaf and that's for sure

But all you do is scream for more

Get the lead out go for broke

Pop your pills and drink and smoke

Shoot those chemicals into your vein

Anything to ease the pain



Heavy metal (heavy metal) poisoning (it's a poison)

A toxic wasteland (got a toxic wasteland)

in your ear canal (in your ear canal!)

Overloaded (I'm overloaded), suffering (yeah!)

Overloaded (overloaded) on sex and drugs



Everything is black and white

You are wrong and we are right

First we'll spank your big behinds

Then we'll twist your little minds

I'm dr. righteous (I'm dr. righteous),

and I'm here to sing (yeah!)



That heavy metal (heavy metal) is poisoning

It's a music wasteland, that destroys the young (yeah!)

They're overloaded (overloaded)

on sex and drugs, sex and drugs, sex and drugs

And rock and roll!



Sterces eht sdloh natas

I'm dr. righteous (I'm dr. righteous),

and I'm here to sing (yeah!)

That heavy metal (heavy metal) is poisoning



It's a music wasteland, that destroys the young (yeah!)

They're overloaded (overloaded)

on sex and drugs, sex and drugs, sex and drugs

And rock and roll!



Heavy metal (heavy metal) poisoning (it's a poison)

A toxic wasteland (got a toxic wasteland)

in your love canal love canal!)

Overloaded (I'm overloaded), suffering (yeah!)

Overloaded (overloaded) on sex and drugs, sex and drugs, sex and
drugs



Sex and drugs, sex and drugs, sex and drugs, sex and drugs, sex and
drugs

"righteous! righteous!...

""shut up!""

...righteous! righteous! righteous! righteous! righteous!

yeah!""shut up! shut up!"[giggles]




Anyway, I always liked the early David Bowie later. It is a pity his records were not as available when I was in high school. For instance I like this japanese version of It's No Game:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KdYAVjRiJ4



and even if I haven't seen the Tarantino's Movie of Inglorious Basterds I still love this alternate track of Cat People (Putting Out Fire) recorded in Australia:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_i0n4gTkLA



Going back to subject, my rant was on corny videos against the system. Where the concept was more important than the lyrics. So yes, I liked Rick Springfield's videos. Same as Styx. They just haven't aged well. Here is Bop Til You Drop. This is still nice and tolerable although very 80s. And once again we scream
I WANT FREEDOM. I CAN BE A FREE MAN TO LISTEN TO ROCK VIDEOS ALL DAY, YEAH!

Bop Til You Drop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9XXbx5fb2g)
Affair of the Heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmVD5_ddVGQ)

Anyway I cannot leave this post against the corporate establishment without mentioning Aerosmith's Revolution X video game. Shame Helga! You can't kill rock and roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMSeRxzbbk

Blogalaxia Tags:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...